Thursday, June 28, 2012

PSA

Here's the most important take away from this past weekend:

You do not have to be allergic to bee stings to go into anaphylactic shock.  Or, I should just rephrase and write that all it takes is one bee sting to realize you are allergic and go into a severe case of anaphylactic shock.  

Unfortunately, we learned this the hard way on Sunday.  David has been stung by bees all throughout his life and was stung several times a few weeks ago by a bee/wasp/hornet that flew into his hair.  He had just a typical reaction--local swelling and stinging.  This past Sunday he was stung one time on the top of his wrist and it sent him into anaphylactic shock within 20 minutes.  It resulted in a call to 911, me racing home with the girls to try and get to him, and a ride to the ER via an ambulance.  So not the way we had envisioned our day going.    

It was way beyond the scariest thing that's ever happened in my life.  David was so not ok when I found him Sunday morning.  He couldn't breathe and he was lying on the floor in a pool of sweat trying to talk to 911 to give them our address.  His face and entire body were a complete mess.  But, luckily, it ended well and we can now laugh about it.  We like to call it our own little Seinfeld episode. And, we are now the proud owners of several epi pens and I've turned into a super freak about all things with stingers and wings.  

No comments: